Founder of Cryptocurrency Exchange Bitzlato Arrested in $700 Million Money Laundering Case
- The founder of the cryptocurrency exchange Bitzlato, Anatoly Legkodymov, was detained in Miami on Tuesday.
- According to the Justice Department, Bitzlato handled illegal transactions, including millions of dollars in ransomware earnings.
- Bitzlato is said to have profited by more than $15 million from ransomware attacks.
- Deputy Attorney General Lisa Monaco said during the news conference that Bitzlato is a critical financial resource for Hydra, the biggest dark web market.
- According to the DOJ, until the market was shut down by federal authorities in April 2022, users of Hydra Market transferred over $700 million in different cryptocurrencies with Bitzlato.